How to apply as an international student
We are thrilled that you are considering the Jacobs School of Music!
The undergraduate application fee is $65 and is due on November 1. The graduate application fee is $70 and is due on December 1.
Step 2: Apply to the Jacobs School of Music by December 1. The application fee is $95. (Letters of recommendation and prescreen, if applicable, will be uploaded during this phase).
Step 3: Send supporting materials and additional documentation to the Office of International Services. See below for your documentation requirements.
Step 4: Complete an audition and/or interview, as applicable to your program. Visit your department's audition page for information on this year's updated audition process.
Arrange to have the following materials sent to the Indiana University Office of International Services by November 1, 2020.
- Official transcripts (if the original document is not in English, you must provide an official copy in the original language, as well as a translated copy with line-by-line English translation)
- SAT or ACT scores, if applicable (sent directly from the testing agency). IU is test-optional. Visit our test-optional admissions policy page to learn more.
- TOEFL score
Arrange to have the following sent to the Indiana University Office of International Services by December 1, 2020.
- Academic records from every postsecondary school you have attended (if the original document is not in English, you must provide an official copy in the original language, as well as a translated copy with line-by-line English translation)
- TOEFL score
Proof of English proficiency
If your birth language is not English, you must submit a TOEFL score to the Jacobs School of Music demonstrating your level of English proficiency.
- Bachelor of Music and Master of Music applicants: 84 (internet), 223 (computer), 560 (paper)
- Performer Diploma and Artist Diploma applicants: 65 (internet), 183 (computer), 510 (paper)
- Doctor of Music applicants: 100 (internet), 250 (computer), 600 (paper)
Applicants in Voice (all), Piano (D.M. only), Conducting, Music Theory, Musicology, and Graduate Music Education must submit scores by December 1, 2020. All other applicants must submit scores by March 1, 2021. There are no exceptions to these requirements and scores must be submitted in order for an admission decision to be made.
Documentation after admission
If you are admitted to the Jacobs School of Music, you must submit documents to the Office of International Services to prove that you have the financial means to support yourself for a full calendar year, including tuition, fees, and living expenses.
Your financial documents are not related to your admission decision. However, the Office of International Services cannot issue you an immigration document until you have provided sufficient evidence of financial support.Learn more about required financial documentation