Master of Arts (M.A.), Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.)
In response to the ongoing pandemic, the Jacobs School of Music Office of Admissions and Financial Aid is adapting our interview procedures for 2021-2022 admissions to meet state and university guidelines related to COVID-19.
Update: Applicants will be notified of screening decisions by Jan. 6, 2021.
Submit the following via the JSOM Supplemental application by Dec. 1.
- A formal research paper or thesis on an analytical or historical subject
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Three letters of recommendation via the JSOM Supplemental application. Your recommenders will receive a secure link to use to upload their letters after you submit your application.
- Personal statement via the JSOM Supplemental application. Please share your statement as your response to the question: In 300-500 words, describe your musical background, objectives, and future career plans.
Make sure to also submit the following to the Jacobs School Office of Admissions by Dec. 1
- Transcript(s) - you may submit your academic records via the IU Graduate School application or by email to email@example.com.
- M.A and Ph.D. applicants are not required to, but may submit optional GRE General Test scores. If you wish to submit GRE scores, the deadline to submit is December 1, 2020.
Live virtual interview
After a review of your prescreen materials, the department will determine whether you will be invited for an interview. Virtual interviews will be held on February 5 and 6, 2021.
Master of Arts (M.A.) in Musicology and Master of Library Science from the Department of Information and Library Science in the School of Informatics and Computing (M.A./ M.L.S.)
To apply to the dual-degree program, you need to submit three applications: two applications to the University Graduate School (one for the M.A. in Musicology and one for the M.L.S.) and one to the Jacobs School of Music (for the M.A. in Musicology).
Please see information on applying to the Department of Information and Library Science.