Master of Arts (M.A.), Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.)
Musicology interview requirements
Bachelor's degree (B.M. or B.A.) with a major in music or demonstrated equivalent
Master’s degree (M.A. or M.M.) with a major in music or demonstrated equivalent
- Ph.D. applicants are required to demonstrate strong preparation in music history and competency in all areas required of the M.A. in Musicology at the Jacobs School of Music.
- Previous coursework may be offered in partial fulfillment of major or minor field requirements, subject to evaluation and acceptance.
- Students with outstanding credentials may apply directly to the Ph.D. from a bachelor’s degree.
- Students holding an M.A. or M.M. in Musicology may be exempted from certain courses on the recommendation of the department.
- A formal research paper or thesis on an analytical or historical subject
- GRE General Test scores
After a review of your prescreen materials, the department will determine whether you will be invited for an interview.
Master of Arts (M.A.) in Musicology and Master of Library Science from the Department of Information and Library Science in the School of Informatics and Computing (M.A./ M.L.S.)
To apply to the dual-degree program, you need to submit three applications: two applications to the University Graduate School (one for the M.A. in Musicology and one for the M.L.S.) and one to the Jacobs School of Music (for the M.A. in Musicology).
|November 1, 2020||IU application due||Undergraduate applicants|
|December 1, 2020||IU Graduate School application due||
Graduate and diploma applicants
|December 1, 2020||
Jacobs Supplemental application due. (Prescreen materials due, as applicable to your audition requirements)
|December 1, 2020||TOEFL scores due||Non-native English speaking applicants in Voice (all), Piano (D.M. only), Conducting, Musicology, and Graduate music education|
|January TBD, 2021||Audition weekend||Most applicants*|
|February TBD, 2021||Audition weekend||Most applicants*|
|March 1, 2021||TOEFL scores due||All non-native English speaking applicants|
|March TBD, 2021||Audition weekend||Most applicants*|
* Some programs do not hold auditions on all dates or may have their own audition dates. Please check your program's guidelines for more information.