David H. Jacobs Chair in Music
Born in 1922 in Akron, Ohio, David H. Jacobs earned a Bachelors degree in business from Indiana University in 1947. Mr. Jacobs and his brother, Richard E. Jacobs (BS, 1949), became highly successful in a number of business ventures. These included interests in hotels and restaurant franchises and shopping mall development. Together they became the third largest mall developers in the country. In 1986 the brothers purchased the Cleveland Indians baseball team. They were also the founders of the Richard & David Jacobs Group (formerly JVJ) with which Mr. Jacobs was actively involved until his death in 1992.
Mr. Jacobs and his wife Barbara M. Barrow Jacobs (BS, 1948) had been active supporters of the Indiana University School of Music for many years. Even after David's death, Barbara carried on the legacy of giving. On November, 17, 2006, the School of Music was named The Indiana University Jacobs School of Music thanks to her most generous gift. Barbara said, "The music department wasn't of any consequence to us until we met Charles Webb. He touched the life of our family with his friendship." We are grateful for the David H. Jacobs Chair in Music (established 1998) and for the many blessings the Jacobs Family have bestowed upon our great School.
The Jacobs School of Music is honored to establish the David H. Jacobs Chair in Music to support the designated holder of the Chair, research, manuscript preparation, graduate research assistance, library and equipment acquisitions, and other requirements of an active scholar and teacher.