Barbara and David Jacobs School of Music Enhancement Fund
Thanks to the incredible generosity of Barbara M. Jacobs, BS '48, the School of Music now has the monumental opportunity to build on its already immense stature, realize several long-held goals, and reintroduce itself to the global musical community. The late David Jacobs, Sr., BS '47, built a lucrative real estate and shopping center empire which soon became the largest of its kind in the nation. Jacobs also invested millions of dollars in projects to help spark the revitalization of downtown Cleveland, Ohio, including the building of Key Tower. Visible as far as 20 miles away, Key Tower is one of the tallest buildings in the United States. In 1986 Jacobs and his brother bought the Cleveland Indians, selling the franchise in 2000.
Mr. Jacobs and his wife Barbara M. Barrow Jacobs (BS, 1948) had been active supporters of the Indiana University School of Music for many years. Even after David's death, Barbara carried on the legacy of giving. On November 17, 2006, the School of Music was named The Indiana University Jacobs School of Music thanks to her most generous gift. Barbara said, "The music department wasn't of any consequence to us until we met Charles Webb. He touched the life of our family with his friendship." We are grateful for the Barbara and David Jacobs Fellowship and for the many blessings the Jacobs Family have bestowed upon our great School.
The Barbara and David Jacobs School of Music Enhancement Fund is used to support expenditures and opportunities that enhance the mission of the Jacobs School.