Jazz Double Bass Studio Fund
The Jazz department at IU began in the 1950's with a number of small and large organized ensembles, having no official relationship to Indiana University, held jam sessions in fraternity houses and music practice rooms (to the dismay of the music administration). When one of the bands including Al Kiger, Jerry Coker, Al Cobine, Buddy Baker, and David Baker entered a Metronome magazine Collegiate Jazz Band Contest, the band won the contest along with another band from UCLA. In 1959, a band headed by David Baker representing IU, was named as Best Band at the first Notre Dame Jazz Festival. Thus began the reputable Jazz Studies Deartment at the Jacobs School of Music as professors were appointed, jazz ensembles were added to the curriculum, and courses in jazz were offered.
Today, the faculty of the Jazz Department are scholars, authors, award-winning composers, performers, Grammy winners, NEA recipients, Pulitzer Prize winners, and Jazz Masters. The Jazz Double Bass Studio Fund is used for the general support of the Jacobs School Jazz Double Bass Studio, including educational materials, audio and video recordings equipment, and visiting guest artists who offer group instruction and master classes.
Established in 2008, the Jazz Double Bass Studio Fund provides general support for the Jazz Double Bass studio, including educational materials, audio and video recording equipment, and visiting guest artists.