Master of Music (M.M.), Doctor of Music (D.M.)
Orchestral conducting audition requirements
Non-native English speakers must submit their TOEFL by December 1, 2020. Your prescreen will not be reviewed until English Proficiency has been met.
- Video recording of a performance or rehearsal that displays your conducting proficiency
- Résumé/Curriculum Vitae
- Repertoire list, including:
- Works conducted in performance, including date and group
- Works prepared, including when and for whom
- Works assisted, including when and for whom
- Works studied
A limited number of applicants will be invited to a personal audition to conduct one of the Jacobs School of Music orchestras. The audition and interview will not occur during any of the regularly scheduled audition weekends. Invited applicants will be informed of a date in writing.
Invited applicants should prepare the following pieces for the personal conducting audition:
- Beethoven - Symphony No. 2, Mvt. 1
- Tchaikovsky - Romeo and Juliet(complete)
- Copland - Appalachian Spring (rehearsal #6-16 and #35-51)
- Puccini - La Bohème, Act I, Rodolfo's aria "Che gelida manina"
- Mozart - Marriage of Figaro, The Count’s Aria
All pieces are to be learned in their entirety.
|November 1, 2020||IU application due||Undergraduate applicants|
|December 1, 2020||IU Graduate School application due||
Graduate and diploma applicants
|December 1, 2020||
Jacobs Supplemental application due. (Prescreen materials due, as applicable to your audition requirements)
|December 1, 2020||TOEFL scores due||Non-native English speaking applicants in Voice (all), Piano (D.M. only), Conducting, Musicology, and Graduate music education|
|January TBD, 2021||Audition weekend||Most applicants*|
|February TBD, 2021||Audition weekend||Most applicants*|
|March 1, 2021||TOEFL scores due||All non-native English speaking applicants|
|March TBD, 2021||Audition weekend||Most applicants*|
* Some programs do not hold auditions on all dates or may have their own audition dates. Please check your program's guidelines for more information.