Master of Music (M.M.)
The following information is for entry into the 2023-24 school year.
All music scoring applicants must submit a prescreening portfolio via the JSOM Supplemental application by December 1.
Portfolio should include:
- Two or more scores and/or audio/visual or audio/visual samples representing a variety of forms and media, including at least two excerpts of music for film, game, web, or other mixed media. Samples of concert pieces are additionally welcome.
- The faculty encourage you to present samples of your work that best represent the kind of composer/musician/artst you are as a whole.
- Submitted sample should not exceed twelve minutes.
- If a long-form film or other media is submitted or pointed to via links, then a "cue list" of relevant scenes with timings to locate them should be provided.
- Video recordings should be in in QuickTime or .mp4 format.
- Any scores should be in PDF format (not Finale or Sibelius).
- A complete chronological list (PDF) of compositions for film, game, web or other mixed media as well as any concert works. This list should contain active links to any work posted and available online.
- Note: The preferred file name format for scores and recordings is: <title>_<genre>_<year>
Live virtual interview
Select applicants will be invited to a live interview after a review of all prescreening portfolios.
If you are invited, you will be scheduled for one of the following audition dates and will receive your schedule by email 3-4 weeks prior to your interview:
- January 13-14, 2023
- February 3-4, 2023
- March 3-4, 2023
International applicants are welcome to travel to Bloomington, but we can also offer the possibility of conducting the interview virtually. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request an international virtual interview.
You should be prepared for a brief ear-training examination (identification of intervals, triads, etc.).
Please also review our suggested personal computing and software resources.