In response to the ongoing pandemic, the Jacobs School of Music Office of Admissions and Financial Aid is adapting our audition procedures for 2021-2022 admissions to meet state and university guidelines related to COVID-19.
Bachelor of Science in Music (B.S.), Bachelor of Science in Music and an Outside Field (B.S.O.F.)
Prescreen required for all applicants.
Ballet dept. email: email@example.com
Ballet dept. phone: 812-855-6787
Submit a video recording via the JSOM Supplemental application (no more than 10 minutes in length), including:
- At the Barre: Développés on one side and Grand Battements on the other. No additional barre exercises are needed.
- In the Centre: Adagio both sides (showing first arabesque), Pirouettes (both sides), Small Jumps, Petit Allegro and Grand Allegro.
- Female Identifying Dancers: pointe shoes, leotard, and pink tights – no skirts please
- Male Identifying Dancers: fitted T-shirt and tights
If your prescreen is accepted, due to the uncertain circumstances associated with Covid-19, we will ask you to submit a video audition in lieu of an in-person audition. Please see the “dress code” language stated above for your appearance in this video. All second round audition videos should contain:
- A video introduction in which you state your name, your current school and teachers, why you choose to practice ballet and why specifically you chose to audition for the IU JSoM Ballet Department.
- At the Barre (each combination on an alternating side): Pliés, tendus (slow and fast), degagés, rond de jamb a terre, fondus with rond de jamb en l’air, frappes, as well as développés on one side and grand battements on the other.
- In the Centre (each combination to both sides): A tendu with a pirouette from 5th, adagio showing first arabesque, pirouettes from 4th en dehors and en dedans, a traveling waltz step, small jumps, petit allegro, grand allegro as well as double tours for male identifying dancers and piqué turns for female identifying dancers.
- PLEASE NOTE: BOTH Barre and Centre must be on pointe for female identifying dancers
- Two solo variations of your choosing: One should be from classical ballet repertoire (Swan Lake, Sleeping Beauty, La Bayadère, Don Quixote, Giselle, Le Corsaire, ) The other variation can be a neoclassical or contemporary variation of your choice.
- Please limit the length of your video to 45 minutes maximum length.
We will host virtual tours, a virtual information session and virtual class/rehearsal observation days in the months of February and March. Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.