The instrument rental office provides services to all Jacobs School of Music students free of charge. Instruments can be checked out during the fall and spring semesters, as well as during the summer sessions. If you use one of our instruments, you are responsible for ensuring that it is properly cared for, and you must follow all guidelines outlined by our office. We are here to help any time you experience issues with instruments rented from our office. Our office is a friend of LGBTQ+ Student Support Services.
Check out an instrument, find local instrument repair providers, and more
Office of Instrument Rental
Location: Music Addition (MA) Room 410
8 a.m.–4 p.m. ET by appointment only
Who can check out an instrument?
Instruments and accessories are available to all Jacobs School of Music students free of charge (student ID card, student ID number, local address and phone number required) and may be used for major ensemble requirements, lessons, recitals, as a temporary replacement for a personal instrument in need of repair, or when requested by your applied instrumental music professor.
Instruments and accessories are also available to non-music majors taking courses in the Jacobs School of Music (student ID card, student ID number, local address and phone number required) for a fee of $20 per semester. In sharing situations, music majors take priority on all loans/rentals.
Instruments may be available to prospective students auditioning for the Jacobs School of Music. Please contact us for further information.
- Instruments and accessories are available to all Jacobs School of Music students free of charge (student ID card, student ID number, local address and phone number required) and may be used for major ensemble requirements, lessons, recitals, as a temporary replacement for a personal instrument in need of repair, or when requested by your applied instrumental music professor.
- Instruments and accessories are also available to non-music majors taking courses in the Jacobs School of Music (student ID card, student ID number, local address and phone number required) for a fee of $20 per semester. In sharing situations, music majors take priority on all loans/rentals.
- Instruments may be available to prospective students auditioning for the Jacobs School of Music. Contact the Instrument Rental Office for further information.
- Instruments and accessories are issued during three periods per year – Fall Semester, Spring Semester and Summer Sessions. Items may be checked out beginnng one week prior to the beginning of each rental period.
- Fees apply for lost or damaged instruments and accessories and for any violation of a signed contract. Please see the bottom of this page for details.
- The Instrument Rental Office (MA410) supplies personal lockers for double bass and tuba storage only. All other empty locker requests can be submitted to the Music Facilities Office in Simon 031 (M031) using the locker contract form.
- Each instrument borrowed from the Instrument Rental Office is issued with a locker and a lock. All instruments are to be stored in the provided lockers when not in use.
- School of Music instruments and accessories are to be used for School of Music sanctioned functions only and should otherwise not be taken off campus.
- All items must be returned to MA410 in the condition in which they were issued before the due date. Any damage to borrowed items must be reported to the Instrument Rental Office immediately. The Instrument Rental Office will make arrangements for repairs. Charges will be assessed for all repairs, cleaning and/or replacement of items if it is deemed that the damage was caused by negligence.
- Each person checking out an instrument or accessory must return the instrument in person. Do not ask someone else to turn the item in for you.
- Only the person listed on the contract should be using the instrument. Do not give out locker information to other people.
- Nick Brightman (flute, clarinet, and saxophone repair)
6606 N. Broadway Street
Indianapolis, IN 46220
- Michael K. Evans (string sales, rental, and repair)
1507 East 1st St.
Bloomington, IN 47401
- Eli Henline (woodwind and brass repair)
4114 Daniel Ave.
Bloomington, IN 47404
- Brent Laidler (woodwind and brass repair)
229 South 4th Street
Lafayette, IN 47901
- Melody Music Shop, LLC (music sales, rental, and repair)
2894 E 3rd St #116 (in College Mall)
Bloomington, IN 47401
- Paul Nordby (bassoon repair)
3849 Glenview Drive
Indianapolis, IN 46240
- Stephen M. Schock (string sales, rental, and repair)
202 East Third Street
Bloomington, Indiana 47401
- Vance Music Center (music sales, rental, and repair)
112 W. 6th Street
Bloomington, IN 47404
- Martin Wilk (brass repair)
1080 US Highway 150NE
Palmyra IN 47164
Guidelines for Equipment Check-out (Please read further details here.)
- Student ID card, student ID number, local address and phone number are required for all loans and rentals.
- Submit an Instrument Rental Request Form (hyperlink to the online form here, please) to request to check out an instrument and/or accessory, including lockers for double bass and tuba (other lockers are provided by the Office of Facilities)
- After appointment confirmation, visit MA410 (Music Addition, Round Building) at your appointment time to read the contract carefully, initial and sign at the bottom.
- Items are generally distributed on a first-come, first-served basis. We reserve the right to hold certain instruments for certain performances based on the needs of Jacobs School of Music ensembles.
- Pick up your contract in MA410, read the contract carefully, initial and sign at the bottom.
- You will receive a copy of the contract to keep for your information. The return date, the locker location, the lock information and office contact information will be indicated on your copy. Do not misplace this form as it has your personal information on it as well as the locker information.
- The instrument/accessory is to be used for IU Jacobs School of Music sanctioned functions only.
- Each instrument is distributed with an assigned locker.
- Instruments should be kept in the assigned locker when not in use. Multiple users may be assigned to the instrument at any time. If multiple users are assigned to the instrument you will be notified by e-mail.
- Certain instruments require written approval from an applied studio faculty member for check-out.
- You must be an IU Jacobs School of Music registered student at the time of need in order to check out an instrument or accessory.
- No instrument or accessory may be checked out by one person and then used by another. Each person using the instrument should have a contract on file in the Instrument Rental Office
- Keep the instrument in its assigned locker. We occasionally have to share instruments with other students or borrow instruments for emergency situations.
- Keep the instrument and lock secure at all times. Changing just one number on the combination lock isn’t very secure because everyone knows this time-saving trick.
- Let us know immediately if the item sustains any damage. Small problems can easily become major issues if left alone.
- Swab the instrument out (woodwinds), empty slides (brass) and wipe the instrument down (all) after each use.
- Rinse your mouth before using a wind instrument. Brushing is even better!
- Loosen the bow hair after each use (string instruments). Leaving the bow hair tightened can damage the bow permanently.
- Maintain the instrument while it is in your care.
- Ask for an extension on your contract if you need the item beyond the due date listed on your contract.
- Check it in if you’re not using it so that others may use it.
Please do not…
- Take the instrument off campus. IU’s insurance is only good on campus (this reduces the insurance costs) so the user becomes solely responsible for the instrument’s repair or replacement if it is taken off campus.
- Leave the instrument unattended at any time.
- Change just one number on the combination locks for quick access.
- Eat or drink while using the instrument (woodwinds and brass). Food particles can destroy a wind instrument.
- Attempt to repair the instrument on your own – bring it to MA410 immediately if it is damaged or working improperly.
- Lose your copy of the contract. It has your personal information and has the location and combination of your loaned item.
Guidelines for Equipment Return (Please read further details here.)
- The Office of Instrument Rental is open by appointment only from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. Please make an appointment to check in your instrument by calling us at (812) 855-8720, or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Plan ahead.
- Please bring all items to MA410 and not to another office.
- Please do not leave the items outside MA410 if the office is closed.
- Only the borrower should be returning the borrowed item. Please do not ask someone else to turn the instrument in for you. Plan ahead.
- The borrowed item is still in your care until you leave it with one of the Instrument Rental Office staff members
- Borrowed string bass and tuba lockers and trunks must be renewed or relinquished at the end of each rental period. Please clean out the locker and return the lock if you no longer need the locker or trunk.
- All instruments should be brought to the Instrument Rental Office along with the lock from the locker.
- Make sure you remove all of your personal items from the case and locker before returning the instrument.
- Please clean (mouthpiece!) and wipe the instrument down before returning it. Rags and cleaning needs are available in MA410. A cleaning fee will be charged directly to your bursar account if you choose not to clean the instrument.
- If there are any repairs that need to be done on the instrument (even if they are not absolutely necessary but would make the instrument play better) please mention this when turning it in or leave a note with the instrument.
- If you finish with the instrument before the due date please feel free to bring it in early. This will make the load lighter during the last week of classes.
- Failure to comply with above guidelines will result in fines.
- If you have any questions regarding any of this information please call us at (812) 855-8720, send an e-mail message to email@example.com or stop by MA410. It’s always better to ask than to keep us guessing!
- Return the item(s) on or before the due date listed on the contract.
- Clean the instrument, or accessory before returning it to MA410.
- Wipe it down thoroughly, wash the mouthpiece (keep any cork dry).
- Remove all rosin, hand oil, practice tape, practice tape glue, etc. Fees apply if the instrument comes back in need of cleaning.
- Bring the lock (combination locks) or the key (keyed locks).
- Let us know (verbally or in writing) if the instrument needs adjustment or repair.
- Remove your personal items (including used reeds and trash) from the case and locker.
- Coordinate the return with the other user(s) before returning the item if you're sharing with another student.
- Ask for an extension into finals week if necessary.
Please do not...
- Give the instrument to someone else to return for you.
- Leave the instrument with another office (other than MA410) and expect them to take care of it for you.
- Leave the instrument in the locker and expect someone else to pick it up for you.
- Wait until the last minute.
- Failure to comply with any part of contract = $60
- Lost combination lock = $50
- Lost keyed lock = $30
- Lost or damaged instrument or accessory = dependent upon value of item and/or damage done
- Late return of item = $60 + $1 per calendar day per item
- Instrument cleaning = $10-50 depending on size and condition of item
- Locker cleaning = $10-20 depending on condition of locker
Frequently asked questions
Submit an Instrument Rental Request Form. Be as specific as possible about the type of item you need, and we’ll do our best to provide it. You will receive confirmation and an appointment time. At your appointment time, come to MA410 (the round music building, also called the Music Annex or Music Addition) with your student ID. You will sign a contract and check out the instrument.
Make an appointment with the Instrument Rental Office by emailing at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone (812) 855-8720. Bring the instrument to MA410. We'll either repair it or send it out for repair and provide another instrument if available. Do not take the instrument to a repair shop or attempt to repair the instrument on your own. All damage should be reported as soon as it happens to avoid further damage to the instrument.
Make an appointment with the Instrument Rental Office by emailing at email@example.com or phone (812) 855-8720. Generally, lost keys show up sooner or later. We can provide a new lock and key if necessary.
Make an appointment with the Instrument Rental Office by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone (812) 855-8720. We can provide another lock.
To turn in borrowed items wash all mouthpieces (keep any cork dry), wipe instruments down (removing all hand oils, rosin, etc.) and bring the items along with the lock from the locker (if applicable) to MA410. Charges apply for returned items that are not clean. See details here.
Generally, Jacobs School of Music students may borrow up to three different instruments at a time.
No. If they need to borrow your loaned instrument they should come to MA410 and check it out as well. Otherwise, you could be responsible for any damage or loss caused by the second student.
Generally not. Jacobs School of Music instruments are insured by Indiana University and our policy only covers loss or damage on campus. If the instrument is used for an off-campus IU sanctioned function (Jacobs School of Music performance or ceremony), then the instrument is covered. Otherwise, instruments that leave campus are solely the responsibility of the borrower if damage or loss occurs. This is for the protection of the student as well as for the protection of University assets. There are exceptions to this, and Jacobs School of Music students should contact us directly for details.
The following instruments (as well as the necessary bows and mouthpieces) are available to all Jacobs School of Music students:
The following instruments are available to all Jacobs School of Music students with consent of a School of Music professor:
|c melody saxophone
|wagner tubas (f and Bb)
Contact the Instrument Rental Office by email at email@example.com or phone (812) 855-8720. We will either extend the due date or renew the contract for an additional semester.
Clean out the locker completely and return the lock to MA410.
Yes. Any student who is enrolled in classes in the upcoming semester may renew toward the end of the current semester. Simply bring the items you would like to renew to MA410 for a quick inspection during the last week of classes (we'll notify you of the exact dates) and we'll renew the contract. Renewals must be completed prior to the due date.