Take Charge of your Future!

Go to the OECD

JSoM Student Travel Assistance

Guidelines for Student Travel Assistance

The Jacobs School of Music has a limited amount of funding available to assist individual Jacobs students in defraying their travel expenses in certain circumstances; because funding is limited, assistance is restricted to students participating in the types of professional activities described below:

  • You are eligible to apply for assistance if:

(1) You are a student currently enrolled in a Jacobs School of Music undergraduate or graduate degree or diploma program
(2) You have been invited to present a paper at a conference, and the conference host is not paying for or reimbursing your travel expenses
(3) You have been invited to be present at the performance of one of your compositions, and the presenting organization is not paying for or reimbursing your travel expenses

  • You are not eligible to apply for assistance if your travel is for any reason other than those describedin (2) and (3) above, including travel to auditions or competitions, participation in summer music festivals, etc.
  • The maximum amount of funding available for a single trip is $300. This amount is intended onlyto assist in covering your travel expenses, not to cover all expenses.
  • Following Indiana University regulations, travel expenses can be paid only by reimbursement at the conclusion of the trip, based on the submission of eligible receipts (please see further important information about eligible receipts below).
  • Assistance to a student for more than a single trip in a given academic year will be considered only if funds are available; students applying for assistance for the first time will be given preference.

Step 1: applying for travel assistance

The materials listed below should be submitted to Stephanie Gott, Music Practice Building, Music Business Affairs office PB128

  • Submit a letter addressed to the Student Travel Committee outlining the event and your participationin it. Include any supporting documentation (e.g., event brochure, meeting agenda, etc.).
  • Include your name, student ID, local mailing address, and degree program/major in your letter.
  • Provide a letter of recommendation from your department chair and your applied teacher or advisor, if appropriate.
  • Outline a complete budget for the event, documenting all costs as they apply only to you; do not include expenses of other participants. Identify any support you will receive from other sources.

If your request is approved by the Student Travel Committee you will be notified via e‐mail to visit Stephanie Gott in the Music Practice Building, Music Business Affairs PB128, for instructions on receipts and reimbursement.

Step 2: After returning from travel

After your travel is complete, visit Stephanie Gott (Music Practice Building, Music Business Affairs office, PB128) with all original receipts for which you wish to be reimbursed.

At the same time, please bring any documentation of the event in which you participated, including documentation of your participation.


  • You must submit original receipts for documentation. Credit card receipts work best for airline tickets, meals, or gas purchases. Meal receipts will be reimbursed only if the receipt is itemized.
  • If you submit a hotel or car rental invoice you must provide the original itemized invoice along with your proof of credit card payment. You must also make sure that the hotel, rental car, and air fare receipts are in your name. The IU Travel Office will not accept a credit card statement alone for hotel or car rental charges.

Questions should be addressed to Stephanie Gott, Music Business Affairs, (812) 855‐6000,srgott@indiana.edu.