This Fall marks the beginning of the IU SINGING HOOSIERS 65th Anniversary year. Every member of THE SINGING HOOSIERS is charged with the responsibility of upholding, maintaining, and continuing the tradition of excellence that this program enjoys.
2014-15 Audition Information: Auditions of singers and also instrumentalists interested in playing in The Singing Hoosiers Band and the SH Horns.
Inquiry Session: Information about The Singing Hoosiers for anyone/everyone interested in auditioning: Wednesday, August 20th 7 pm at MA 404. Free and FUN!!!!
Auditions: Wednesday , August 20, Thursday, August 21, and Friday, August 22 in MA 404
Call Backs: Saturday August 23, 2-4 pm in MA 404
YOU WILL NOT BE ADMITTED to the audition unless you have COMPLETED the audition form and it is appropriately SIGNED. Audition forms may be downloaded on the Singing Hoosiers website or a copy can be picked up at MA051.
In order to sign up for an audition, you must call 812-855-0427 or sign up in person (in advance) in MA051, the Choral Department Office.
WE will provide a very talented accompanist to play piano for your audition but you may also:
- bring an accompanist
- accompany yourself
- bring a pre-recorded CD/mp3
- sing a cappella (this should be your last choice)
The Vocal Audition Will Include:
1. The performance of one or two prepared pieces of your choice in a style which best shows off your voice, and makes you most comfortable. Ideally your selections should be in the pop, Broadway, jazz, or Great American Songbook genres, but you should perform what you know and can do best (holiday carols and patriotic songs are acceptable as a last choice!)
2. Sight reading a simple line of music. You will be given a few seconds to look over the excerpt and the starting pitch. RESULTS for CALL BACKS for The Singing Hoosiers will be posted by noon on Saturday August 23, 2014 outside of MA404. You will also be sent an e-mail if you provided an e-mail address on the application. Call Backs will be Saturday and the final results of our 2014-15 ensemble will be posted Sunday, August 24th. The first Singing Hoosier rehearsal is Monday August 25th at 3:35 p.m.in MA404. Attendance required! Be on time!
The instrumental audition will include:
The Instrumental Audition (piano, bass, drums, guitar, trumpet, trombone sax) Will Include:
1. The performance of one or two prepared pieces of your choice in a style which best shows off your instrument, and makes you most comfortable. Ideally your selections should be in the pop, jazz or Great American Songbook genres, but you should perform what you know and can do best. Improvisation is encouraged, though not required. Classical players who would like to perform non-classical repertoire are encouraged to audition.
2. Sight reading a simple line of music. You will be given a few seconds to look over the excerpt and the starting note.
3. Instrumentalists sign up for an open audition slot on August 20-22.
If you have any questions about the audition itself, feel free to contact the Singing Hoosiers Student Manager, Kendall Renaud at: email@example.com
Do I need to audition separately for The Singing Hoosiers and Vocal Jazz Ensembles?
Yes, The Singing Hoosiers and Vocal Jazz Ensembles are separate ensembles, and they rehearese at separate times, and you must register for each ensemble separately (although the credits are FREE!). It is possible for students to sing in Singing Hoosiers AND one of our vocla jazz ensmebles. Several students do this, but they involve two separate auditions.
Do I need do audition separately for the Singing Hoosiers, and opera choruses and the concert choirs?
Yes, however you only need to do ONE audition for our concert choirs (separate from your Singing Hoosiers audition). One audition will suffice to be considered for participation in all concert choirs and opera choruses. The Singing Hoosiers and Vocal Jazz Ensembles require separate auditions. Important note: Only singers who are Vocal Jazz Majors may use X70 Vocal Jazz Ensemble to fulfill their ensemble requirement. All other music majors who are accepted into the Vocal Jazz Ensemble are still required to participate in the Oratorio Chorus or an opera chorus and will register in X70 twice (once for the ensemble that is counting towards the degree and once for Vocal Jazz Ensemble).
Who needs a choral placement audition?
Participation in Singing Hoosiers and Vocal Jazz Ensembles is open to ANY IU student (regardless of major!) , by audition. If you are not a music major, it is an elective course. You must register, but it is a FREE cedit! If you are a music major, then you a required to be in a concert choir or Singing Hoosiers. If you would like, you can participate in a concert choir, opera chorus AND/OR Singing Hoosiers!!
All students in the Jacobs School of Music participate in an ensemble each semester of enrollment. The exceptions are students enrolled in most doctoral degree programs and some master’s students who have successfully completed four semesters of fall and spring X70 ensemble.
Undergraduate and graduate master’s students who are not registered for an orchestra, band, piano accompanying or early music ensemble are required to audition for choral ensemble placement.