The IU Jacobs School of Music is a world-renowned center of musical excellence continuing its role as a global force for creative expression in the twenty-first century and beyond.
For All: The Indiana University Bicentennial Campaign
As part of For All: The Indiana University Bicentennial Campaign, the Jacobs School of Music set a goal of raising $110 million by 2020.
Visionary donor and longtime friend of the school, David H. Jacobs, announced a $20 million gift to the Jacobs School at the university-wide bicentennial campaign kickoff in September 2015 to help propel the campaign forward.
“Our relationship with David is, by far, his greatest gift to us,” said Gwyn Richards, David Henry Jacobs Bicentennial Dean. “His desire to support our mission is surpassed only by his generosity of spirit. This exceptional gift places within our reach aspirational goals we have in performance, pedagogy, and scholarship. Beyond his extraordinary generosity, David is truly an inspiration through his leadership, passion, and partnership with the school.”
Our campaign goals and priorities
The Jacobs School's campaign is focused on four goals: student scholarship, faculty excellence, facilities and technology, and innovation.
Student support through an increase in undergraduate and graduate scholarship. This allows the Jacobs School to attract and cultivate the most exceptional young talent from across the world.
Continue and increase its long history of unrivaled faculty excellence. Some of the most accomplished performing artists and music educators today are on the Jacobs School faculty. The creation of new endowed faculty positions will allow for this legacy to continue.
Maintaining and updating the existing facilities with the most current technological advances provides students with unparalleled opportunities.
Focus on innovative programs, like Project Jumpstart—a program helping to create multifaceted young artists in the global marketplace. These innovative programs guide students to see all aspects of a viable performing and teaching career in the changing music industry.
Through the help of many visionaries, the Jacobs School creates a diverse and unique environment, positively changing the lives of individuals and communities across the globe through musical performance and study.
Guiding values of our campaign
- Creating a unique and unparalleled learning and musical experience by combining the prowess of a conservatory with the broad academic offerings of a major university
- Concentrating on merit/academic excellence and scholarship support, emphasizing students’ growth in key areas, such as learning, discovery, creativity, and engagement
- Allowing students opportunities for personal growth and self-examination that lead to greater student success
- Collaborating with other arts institutions both domestically and globally
- Realizing the contributions of our donors as they make an investment in Jacobs, ultimately combining their vision with the school’s mission to invest in society’s future