The Auto-W deadline for dropped classes (for courses that last the entire semester of spring 2020) is March 15.  In most cases, that is the latest you can drop a class.

Recent Announcements


Contact the Music Graduate Office

Office Location
East Studio Building 120 (JS 120)
205 S. Jordan Avenue
Bloomington, IN 47405

Mailing Address
1201 E. 3rd Street
Bloomington, IN 47405

Hours: 8 am–12 pm, 1–5 pm
Phone: 812-855-1738Phone

E-mail: musgrad [at] indiana [dot] edu

musicdgs [at] indiana [dot] edu (Eric Isaacson), Director 
serbes [at] indiana [dot] edu (Sara Erbes), Advisor
anmiller [at] indiana [dot] edu (Angie Miller), Recorder
musgrad [at] indiana [dot] edu (Laurie Staring), Secretary
musdoc [at] indiana [dot] edu (Janis Cooper Parker), Doctoral Clerk

More Information

Problems, Difficulties, and Appeals

Indiana University and the Jacobs School of Music seek to treat each student fairly and equitably. If you have a problem or an academic difficulty, believe that an academic or administrative decision is unfair, or have been the victim of harassment, there are places you can turn.

If you have a problem in an individual class or in lessons, ensemble, or other Jacobs School of Music course—for example, with a grade—you should first discuss the issue with the instructor. A good way to start is to make it clear that you would like to understand exactly what led to a particular grade and what the expectations were. Consider asking first for information rather than for an immediate change. If your class was taught by an AI, you can also speak with the head instructor in a course or with the chair of the department that offers the class.

If you are still not satisfied with the explanation of the grade received, you may appeal a grade or grading policy for a specific semester. Grade appeals are considered only because of demonstrated procedural errors in grading, demonstrated discrimination/bias in grading policies, or documented unusual personal circumstances. Grade appeals which involve faculty judgments about the quality of written work, performance level, or compositional skill will not be considered.

Grade appeals must be submitted within four weeks of the day on which that semester's grades are official (based on the registrar's calendar). See the Associate Dean for Instruction for details on the procedure for grade appeals.

If you believe that an administrative decision is unfair, particularly if you believe you have been treated differently from other students, you should first speak with the person who made the decision. Once again, the best first approach is with questions about the way the decision was made, and an offer of more information that may help clarify the situation.

If you are still concerned after speaking with that person, you can make an appointment to speak with the Director of Graduate Studies. If you are concerned about a decision by the director, you can make an appointment with the Associate Dean for Instruction.

If you believe that you are a victim of harassment or a racial or sexual incident, you should consult the Office of Student Conduct.