MITS Quick Links
- Preserving OnCourse content
- Classroom technology
- Instructional technology links
- Instructional technology introduction
- MITS Faculty Spotlights
- MITS on Canvas
Indiana University Jacobs School of Music Privacy Notice
This privacy notice applies only to the Jacobs School of Music (http://www.music.indiana.edu) and explains our practices concerning the collection, use, and disclosure of visitor information. Visitor information collected by Jacobs School of Music will be used only as outlined in this privacy notice.
Other units at the university may collect and use visitor information in different ways. Therefore, visitors to other university websites should review the privacy notices for the particular sites they visit. Jacobs School of Music is not responsible for the content of other websites or for the privacy practices of websites outside the scope of this notice.
Because Internet technologies continue to evolve rapidly, Jacobs School of Music may make appropriate changes to this notice in the future. Any such changes will be consistent with our commitment to respecting visitor privacy, and will be clearly posted in a revised privacy notice.
Collection and Use
When you view pages on our site, the web server automatically collects certain technical information from your computer and about your connection including:
- your IP address
- the domain name from which you visit our site
- aggregate information on pages visited
- the referring website
- the date and time of visit
- your browser type
Continued use of our website indicates consent to the collection, use, and disclosure of this information as described in this notice.
Other than automatically collected technical information about your visit (described above, or cookies, described below), we may ask you to provide information voluntarily, such as through forms or other manual input—in order to make products and services available to you, to maintain and manage our relationship with you, including providing associated services or to better understand and serve your needs. This information is generally retained as long as you continue to maintain a relationship with us. Your providing this information is wholly voluntary. However, not providing the requested information (or subsequently asking that the data be removed) may affect our ability to deliver the products or service for which the information is needed. Providing the requested information indicates your consent to the collection, use, and disclosure of this information as described in this notice. Information we may actively collect could include:
- the email addresses of those who post messages to our bulletin board
- the email addresses of those who communicate with us via email
- the email addresses of those who make postings to our chat areas
- telephone number
- information volunteered by the visitor, such as preferences, survey information and/or site registrations
Information UsageThis information is:
- used to improve the content of our site
- used by us to contact visitors for marketing purposes
Additional Information Related to Information Collection
Users can opt out of receiving targeted advertising at www.aboutads.info, networkadvertising.org/choices and youronlinechoices.eu.
Information Used For Contact
If you supply us with your postal/mailing address:
- You may receive periodic mailings from us with information on new products and services or upcoming events.
If you do not wish to receive such mailings, or would like to be added to our "do not share" list, please let us know by:
- sending us an email at the listed address
- calling us at the listed telephone number
- writing to us at the listed address
We do not share any aggregate, non-personally identifiable information with other entities or organizations.
We may share personally identifiable information with other entities or organizations, under the following circumstances:This information is:
- shared with agents or contractors who assist in providing support for our internal operations
- not shared with other organizations for commercial purposes
- disclosed when legally required to do so, at the request of governmental authorities conducting an investigation, to verify or enforce compliance with the policies governing our website and applicable laws, or to protect against misuse or unauthorized use of our website
We may provide this information to:
- other Indiana University units/departments/schools
- contracted university agents/organizations
We may make some personally identifiable information available, such as:
- your name
- your email address
- other contact information, such as address or telephone number
Except as provided in the Disclosure of Information section below, we do not attempt to use the technical information discussed in this section to identify individual visitors.
A cookie is a small data file that is written to your hard drive that contains information about your visit to a web page. If you prefer not to receive cookies, you may configure your browser not to accept them at all, or to notify and require approval before accepting new cookies. Some web pages/sites may not function properly if the cookies are turned off, or you may have to provide the same information each time you visit those pages.
- store visitors preferences
- record session information, such as items that visitors add to their shopping cart
- record user-specific information on what pages users access or visit
- record past activity at a site in order to provide better service when visitors return to our site
- customize web page content on visitors' browser type or other information that the visitor sends
- track how you use the site to target ads to you on other websites
- We ask children under age 13 to obtain permission from a parent or guardian before interacting with our site.
Use of Third Party Services
To try and bring you offers that are of interest to you, we have relationships with other companies that we allow to place ads on our web pages.
More information about these services can be found at the following sites:
Disclosure of Information
Other than sharing your information with other appropriate university personnel and units to ensure the quality, functionality, and security of our website, or manage your relationship with us, we will not disclose personally identifiable information about your use of the site except under the following circumstances:
- With your prior written (including email) consent
- When we have given you clear notice that we will disclose information that you voluntarily provide
- With appropriate external parties, such as law enforcement agencies, in order to investigate and respond to suspected violations of law or university policy. Any such disclosures shall comply with all applicable laws and university policies.
Due to the rapidly evolving nature of information technologies, no transmission of data over the Internet can be guaranteed to be completely secure. While we are committed to protecting the privacy of our visitors, we cannot guarantee the security of any information that you transmit to university websites, and you do so at your own risk. However, once we receive your information, we will use reasonable safeguards consistent with prevailing industry standards and commensurate with the sensitivity of the data being stored to maintain the security of that information on our systems.
In addition, we will comply with all applicable federal, state and local laws regarding the privacy and security of visitor information.
Privacy Notice Changes
From time to time, we may use visitor information for new, unanticipated uses not previously disclosed in our privacy notice.
Only data collected from the time of the policy change forward will be used for these new purposes. If you are concerned about how your information is used, you should check back at our website periodically.
If you have questions or concerns about this policy, please contact us.
Jacobs School of Music
1201 E. Third Street
Bloomington, IN. 47405
ATTN: Music IT Services
If you feel that this site is not following its stated policy and communicating with the owner of this site does not resolve the matter, or if you have general questions or concerns about privacy or information technology policy at Indiana University, please contact the chief privacy officer through the University Information Policy Office, 812-855-UIPO, email@example.com.