Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I borrow or rent an instrument?
- What should I do if my instrument gets damaged?
- What should I do if I lose my key?
- What should I do if I lose my lock?
- How do I turn in my borrowed items?
- Can I borrow more than one instrument?
- Can I loan my borrowed instrument to another student?
- Can I take my borrowed instrument off campus?
- What instruments are available?
- What should I do if I need my instrument after the due date?
- What should I do if I'm done with my tuba locker or bass locker?
- What should I do if I'm sharing an instrument and am ready to return it?
- Can I renew my current contract?
- How do I borrow or rent an instrument? - Stop by MA410 (the round music building, also called the Music Annex or Music Addition) with your student ID and ID number and we'll do our best to provide what you need. Feel free to call first (812-855-8720) to see if the item you need is available.
- What should I do if my instrument gets damaged? - Bring the instrument to MA410. We'll either repair it, or send it out for repair and provide another instrument if available. Do not take the instrument to a repair shop or attempt to repair the instrument on your own. All damage should be reported as soon as it happens to avoid further damage to the instrument.
- What should I do if I lose my key? - Stop by MA410. Generally lost keys show up sooner or later. We can provide a new lock and key if necessary.
- What should I do if I lose my lock? - Stop by MA410. We can provide another lock.
- To turn in borrowed items wash all mouthpieces (keep any cork dry), wipe instruments down (removing all hand oils, rosin, etc.) and bring the items along with the lock from the locker (if applicable) to MA410. Charges apply for returned items that are not clean. See details here.
- Can I borrow more than one instrument? - Generally, JSoM students may borrow up to three different instruments at a time.
- Can I loan my borrowed instrument to another student? - No. If they need to borrow your loanded instrument they should come to MA410 and check it out as well. Otherwise, you could be responsible for any damage or loss caused by the second student.
- Can I take my instrument off campus? - Generally not. JSoM instruments are insured by Indiana University and our policy only covers loss or damage on campus. If the instrument is used for an off-campus IU sanctioned function (JSoM performance or ceremony) then the instrument is covered. Otherwise, instruments that leave campus are solely the responsibility of the borrower if damage or loss occurs. This is for the protection of the student as well as for the protection of University assets. There are exceptions to this and JSoM students should contact the Instrument Rental Office directly for details.
- What instruments are available? - The following instruments (as well as the necesary bows and mouthpieces) are available to all Jacobs School of Music students:
alto saxophone French horn bass guitar bassoon keyboard Bb clarinet oboe Bb trumpet recorder cello trombone Bb clarinet Bb trumpet cornet tuba euphonium viola flute Violin a clarinet cornetto oboe d'amore alto flute crumhorn organistrum amplifier d trumpet piccolo bagpipe d-eb trumpet piccolo trumpet balalaika dulcimer psaltry bandora eb clarinet rackett baritone saxophone eb trumpet rebec bass clarinet English horn rotary trumpet bass flute f trumpet sackbutt bass saxophone f-g trumpet c melody saxophone bass trombone fife shawm bass trumpet flugelhorn sopranino recorder basset horn gemshorn soprano saxophone c clarinet heckelphon tenor saxophone c trumpet hurdy-gurdy theorbo contrabassoon kortholt trombamarina chanter lira vielle cimbasso lirone viol cittern lute violone clarino mandolin wagner tubas (f and Bb) clavichord mute zinc contrabass clarinet oboe cornamuse
- What should I do if I need my instrument after the due date? - If it is just a few days simply contact us and we'll give you an extension. For longer periods stop by MA410 and renew the contract for the next loan period.
- What should I do if I'm done with my tuba or bass locker? - Clean out the locker completely and return the lock to MA410.
- What should I do if I'm sharing an instrument and am ready to return it? - Coordinate with the other users before returning the instrument. The last person to need the instrument should clean it and return it along with the lock to be checked in.
- Can I renew my current contract? - Yes! Any student who is enrolled in classes in the up-coming semester may renew toward the end of the current semester. Simply bring the items you would like to renew to MA410 for a quick inspection during the last week of classes (we'll notify you of the exact dates) and we'll renew the contract. Renewals must be completed prior to the due date.