Jacobs School Bulletin
Non-Major Music Minor
The Minor consists of 20 hours, of which at least 15 must be taken on the Bloomington campus.
Core Requirements (8 credit hours)
Courses (6 credits)
- Z101: Music for the Listener (3)
- Z111: Introduction to Music Theory (3)
T109 or Z211 may substitute for Z111; T151 may substitute for Z101 and Z111 with the addition of 3 credit hours of music electives.
Ensemble/Live Performance (2 credit hours)
Enroll in either 2 semesters of any of the all-campus ensembles (no audition required), 1 semester of a music major ensemble (audition required), or enroll in MUS-Z 100: The Live Musical Performance.
- X1: All-Campus Ensemble (Jazz, Orchestra, Choir, Band)
- Z161: Steel Drumming
- Z162: Hand Drumming
- X040: Instrumental Ensemble
- X070: Choral Ensemble (includes Singing Hoosiers)
- X030: Ballet Ensemble
- X050: Marching Hundred
- X060: Early Music Ensemble
- X414: Latin American Popular Music Ensemble
For audition information, contact:
Electives (12 credit hours)
Choose from courses with a Z- prefix. At least 9 of the 12 credits must be at the 300 level or higher.
- Z103: Special Topics (varied) (3)
- Z110: Elective Performance Study (a maximum of 3 credits)
- Z120: Music in Multimedia (3)
- Z171: Opera Theatre I (3)
- Z201: History of Rock Music I: Roots of Rock (3)
- Z202: History of Rock Music II: Music of the Sixties (3)
- Z203: History of Rock Music III: The 70s and 80s (3)
- Z211: Music Theory II (3)Z250: Choral Masterworks (3)
- Z260: Music in American Society (3)
- Z265: American Country Music (3)
- Z280: Music of the Silk Road (3)
- Z281: East-West Encounters in Music (3)
- Z282: Music of Russia (3)
- Z311: Music Theory III (3) (P: Z211)
- Z313: Legal Aspects of the Music Industry (3)
- Z315: Music for Film (3)
- Z320: Advanced Special Topics in Music (varied) (3)
- Z361: Introduction to MIDI and Computer Music (3)
- Z362: Computer Music: Design/Perform (3)
- Z373: The American Musical (3)
- Z385: History of the Blues (3)
- Z390: Jazz for Listeners (3)
- Z393: History of Jazz (3)
- Z395: Contemporary Jazz and Soul (3)
- Z401: The Music of the Beatles (3)
- Z402: Music of Frank Zappa (3)
- Z403: Music of Jimi Hendrix (3)
- Z404: The Music of Bob Dylan (3)
- Z405: The Music of the Beach Boys (3)
- Z411: Music Theory IV (3) (P: Z311)
- Z413: Latin American Popular Music (3)
- Z415: Connections: Art, Music, Literature (3)
- M392: Art Musics of the Non-Western World (3)
Many of these courses are on the College Distribution lists for Arts and Humanities and/or World Language and Culture.
Any course in which the student receives a grade below C- may not be used to fulfill a requirement for the minor.
Any student may register for non-major lessons on an instrument. The course number is MUS Z110, listed by instrument/voice section for 2 credit hours. You will be notified by email of your teacher assignment during the first week of classes.