Student Composition Recitals
Each academic year the composition department schedules eight general Student Composition Recitals; all composition majors are encouraged to program their works composed while enrolled at IU on these recitals, which usually comprise solo instrumental and vocal pieces, works for chamber ensembles, and electro-acoustic compositions. Students also present their own recitals as part of each degree.
- Student Composition Recital submission form
- Recital Attendance & I500 Grading Policy
- Degree Recitals
Other Student Activity Links
Student Composition Recitals
- All fall and spring departmental recitals are reserved for students registered for K400, K810, and K910. Please contact coordinator with questions regarding a specific recital. A separate end-of-semester recital for K100 and K710 students is scheduled, usually in MAC036. Contact coordinator for details.
- Recital attendance is required of all students registered for composition lessons (K100, K400, K710, K810, K910). Please read the complete attendance policies.
- Dress Rehearsals are scheduled for the stage of the hall in which the recital will take place. A sign-up sheet for dress rehearsal times will be sent to students involved via e-mail two weeks before the recital.
|DATES, LOCATIONS, TIMES:||Online submission forms will be accepted by the coordinator only between these dates (submissions open up at 11pm on the Monday night):|
Tues. Sep. 29, 8:00 pm AH (Auer Hall)Dress: Mon. Sep. 28, 5:00pm-7:00pm AH
|Mon. Aug. 29 - Tue. Sep. 08|
Tues. Oct. 27, 8:00 pm AH (Auer Hall)Dress: Mon. Oct. 26, 2:00pm-4.00pm AH
|Mon. Sep. 28 - Tue. Oct. 06|
Tues. Dec. 01, 8:00 pm AHDress: Mon. Nov. 30, 5:00pm-7:00pm AH
|Mon. Nov. 02 - Tue. Nov. 10|
Tues. Feb. 02, 8:00 pm AHDress: Mon. Feb. 01, 2:30pm-3:30pm & 6:00pm-7:00pm AH
|Mon. Jan. 04 - Tue. Jan. 12|
Tues. Mar. 1, 8:00 pm AHDress: Mon. Feb. 29, 2:00pm-4:00pm AH
|Mon. Feb. 01 - Tue. Feb. 09|
Tues. Mar. 22, 8:30 pm RH
(Recital Hall)Dress: Mon. Mar. 21, 2:00pm-4:00pm RH
|Mon. Feb. 22 - Tue. Mar. 01|
Thurs. Apr. 07, 8:30 pm RH (Recital Hall)Dress: Wed. Apr. 06, 11:00am-1:00pm RH
|Mon. Mar. 07 - Tue. Mar. 15
Tue. Apr. 19, 8:00 pm AHDress: Sun. Apr. 19 (Same day as concert!), 2:00pm-4:00pm AH
|Mon. Mar. 21 - Tue. Mar. 29
To help insure that a broad spectrum of composition majors, minors and outside area students are represented on departmental recitals, these policies have been established:
- No more than three works by an individual composer can be programmed on departmental recitals during each academic year (excluding any summer departmental recitals).
- The maximum time limit for an individual piece on departmental recitals is fifteen minutes.
- Outside Area and DM Minor students are limited to one work per semester.
Exemptions by petition to any of these policies will be considered by the composition faculty on a case-by-case basis.
To program a work on a student composition recital, the following must be completed:
1) The form, Information for Student Composition Programs. Places on each recital are resereved first-come, first-served; only online information forms will be accepted (no paper forms), and only-between the pairs of dates listed above for each recital.
2) Special Piano Needs. If your work uses piano and calls for any technique other than normal playing on the keys, such as removing the lid or doing ANYTHING inside the piano, you MUST contact the Piano Shop.
3) Audio Support and Sound Reinforcement. If a work requires sound playback or sound reinforcement (microphones, etc.), it is the student's responsibility to contact Recording Arts Department for support. Works prepared using the facilities of the Center for Electronic and Computer Music must have the prior approval of Profs. Jeffrey Hass or John Gibson.
Audio support for departmental and degree recitals in Auer and Recital Halls is provided by the Department of Recording Arts (DRA) free of charge. At this time the DRA does not support audio playback and sound reinforcement in Ford Hall or JSoM classrooms. Send your request to firstname.lastname@example.org at least two weeks in advance. Provide details of work to be performed, equipment needs, recital and dress rehearsal date, time, and venue. Requests submitted less than two weeks in advance will be fulfilled at the departments's discretion.