Internal Degree Applicants
Current JSOM majors who want to add or change major to composition:
- Follow directions at Music Admissions to complete an application.
- submit a portfolio of completed works (pdf), list of compositions (pdf) – including date of composition, instrumentation and duration, and if possible, performance recordings (mp3) to the chair of the composition department, preferably in a folder shared via box.iu. Scores and recordings will be evaluated by the composition faculty; an interview with the student may be requested.
Directions for current composition majors applying for an advanced degree:
1a. BM to MM
Complete an online application to the University Graduate School and a complete JSOM graduate application by December 1.
Follow the procedures outlined by the admissions office for:
1b. MM to DM
Complete the one page application form that is available in the Jacobs School of Music Admissions Office by December 1 and follow their procedures.
2. And for ALL internal applicants:
- There is NO pre-screening for current IU composition majors.
- Your degree recital serves as your audition/interview for the subsequent degree.
- Be sure to check the box requesting an interview for a Theory AI [see below].
- Submit the following items to the composition department chair (by sharing an IUBox folder) before February 15 for priority consideration for financial aid:
- a) Chronological list of compositions, including instrumentation, duration, date
- b) Curriculum Vitae
- c) 3-4 scores, including one work for large instrumental ensemble (orchestra, wind ensemble, chamber orchestra or sinfonietta)
- d) At least two recordings
Deadline for applying for Composition associate instructorships and graduate assistantships: February 15
Information and Application Guidelines for associate instructorships and graduate assistantships in the Composition Department (printable .pdf format). Applicants to the School of Music should wait to apply for these positions until after you hear from us in late December or early January, once we have completed our screening process for graduate applications.
Deadline for applying for Theory associate instructorships: early January (Check with the Theory Dept. for exact date)
Note: We strongly encourage new (and current) graduate students to apply for associate instructorships in the Theory Department. To do so, you need to check the appropriate box on the graduate application form. If you sent in the form without doing this, and would like to apply for a Theory AI, please contact the Admissions Office well ahead of your on-campus interview, to arrange the appropriate interview with the Theory faculty.
Current IU composition majors should apply for Theory AI positions by filling out the online application before their early January deadline. Interviews are held on audition weekends in January, February and March.