The Music Graduate Office will be closed on Monday, May 30 and Monday, July 4.
Registration for summer and fall 2016 is happening now.
Contact the Music Graduate Office
East Studio Building 120 (JS 120)
205 S. Jordan Avenue
Bloomington, IN 47405
1201 E. 3rd Street
Bloomington, IN 47405
Hours: 8 am–12 pm, 1–5 pm
E-mail: musgrad [at] indiana [dot] edu
musicdgs [at] indiana [dot] edu (Eric Isaacson), Director
serbes [at] indiana [dot] edu (Sara Erbes), Advisor
anmiller [at] indiana [dot] edu (Angie Miller), Recorder
musgrad [at] indiana [dot] edu (Victoria Wheeler), Secretary
musdoc [at] indiana [dot] edu (Janis Cooper Parker), Doctoral Clerk
Registration in MUS-U 596 Research in Music (Independent Study)
To register in MUS-U 596 Research in Music (Independent Study), you must fill out an Independent Study Course Request (MUS-U 596) form.
- Fill in your personal information along with an explanation of how you plan to use the course in your degree (as part of an outside area or minor, or in the major field as an elective, for example).
- Provide a description of your proposed course. It is important that you include the information specified on the form: the topic you will be exploring, a tentative schedule of meetings with your faculty study director, and an indication of the product or activity on which the final grade will be based (an exam, a research paper, a lecture recital, etc.). Please note that lessons in a performance area are not eligible as a topic for MUS-U 596.
- Ask the faculty member who will supervise your work to sign the form to show that he or she approves your proposal. Then ask the chair of that faculty member's department to sign. Finally, submit the signed form to the Music Graduate Office.
- After the director of graduate studies has reviewed the form you will be contacted by e-mail to notify you that your proposal has been approved, or to ask for some change in the proposal. Once your proposal has been approved, the Music Graduate Office will authorize you to register in the course. You will need to add the course to your schedule; this is not automatic.
- If any information from the proposal form changes after it is originally approved, you must submit a new proposal subject to the same approvals.
You should start early on getting the necessary approvals so you will not need to pay any extra fees for registering late in MUS-U 596. If there are delays in the approval process that cause late registration or late schedule adjustment fees, you will be responsible for those fees. MUS-U 596 is not offered during the summer sessions.
Contact the Music Graduate Office if you have any questions about this process.